Roundabouts are becoming a preferred intersection design for many reasons
including increased safety, reduced wait times, and less maintenance costs.
Roundabouts are safer intersections.
- Reduce accidents by 39%
- Reduce serious accidents by 75%
- Single Lane Roundabouts have only 8 conflict points where an accident may occur, whereas a traditional intersection has 32
- Reduce travel speed at the roundabout to between 15 and 25 mph, yet still allowing traffic to move
Roundabouts reduce traffic wait times and provide traffic flow.
- Reduced idle time saving time and money (less gas)
- Efficient way to move heavy traffic
- No stop signs or traffic signals to slow down traffic
Roundabouts cost less to maintain.
- No need to maintain traffic signal
Still functions despite power outages
Steese and Massillon Road Roundabout
*General rules provided by the Wisconsin Department of Transportation and URS Designers