History of Green Taught to Third Graders at Historical Lichtenwalter Schoolhouse
at Boettler Park, 5300 Massillon Road, throughout May
GREEN, OH – Throughout May, third graders from the Green Primary School participate in a special class day at the historic 1885 Lichtenwalter Schoolhouse located at Boettler Park, 5300 Massillon Road, to learn about the history of Green and life in Ohio in 1885.
The program, A day in 1885, presented by retired school teachers Carol Baltrinic and Pat Stiles, who dress and act as “schoolmarms” from 1885, offers students a chance to experience what it might have been like to attend a one-room schoolhouse during that era. Students read from the McGuffey Reader and recite at the recitation bench when it is their turn to “toe the line.” In addition, the children play games as they did in 1885. Throughout the lesson, the students will also discuss the changes in our community over time.
The program, which has been part of the third grade curriculum since 2004, is supported by Green Local Schools, the City of Green and the Green Historical Society. The Lichtenwalter Schoolhouse was acquired by the City of Green when Boettler Park land was purchased. The school originally sat on Mount Pleasant Road on landed owned by Robert Boettler. Mr. Boettler moved the schoolhouse to his farm in the 1960s when he sold part of his land to the Akron-Canton airport. For years, the Boettlers used the schoolhouse as an out building to store farm equipment. The City restored the 1885 schoolhouse in 2003.
The City of Green, Ohio, founded in 1992, is a prosperous, progressive and promising city with more than 25,000 residents. Approximately 33.5 square-miles, Green is located in southern Summit County. Visit www.cityofgreen.org. Like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/cityofgreen.org
Fact Sheet on Lichtenwalter Schoolhouse
- In 1885, the Lichtenwalter Schoolhouse was the fourth schoolhouse located at Mount Pleasant Road, east of Massillon Road (on current Akron Canton Airport property).
- The school served students from Jackson and Green Townships. In 1912, the school board closed the school and students attended a school located on Greensburg Road.
- In 1960, the airport expanded and Robert Boettler moved it to his farm, which is now Boettler Park. He used it as a tool shed.
- In 2000, the City of Green accepted the school as the city’s first Historical Local Landmark.
- In 2001, renovation of the schoolhouse began.
- In 2004, retired teachers from Green began the program for children in Green Local Schools.
- A shorter program of the curriculum is offered to scouts, community and senior groups. For more information, contact the parks division at 330-896-6621.