Below are the current job opportunities with the City of Green.
Regardless of the position an employment application must be submitted. The City of Green conducts background checks and drug tests for all new hires.
The City of Green is an equal opportunity employer.
Director of Public Service
Pay Range: $71,870 - $100,575
The City of Green is seeking a highly motivated professional for the position of Director of Public Service. Green has a growing commercial and residential development base and is known for its quality of life, first-class municipal services, with key focus on sound fiscal management.
The successful candidate will provide leadership, direction, and guidance to a high performing staff of Public Service professionals engaged in all functional areas of Public Service management including Highway, Storm Waters, Parks and Recreation and City Cemeteries. Application deadline is Tuesday, February 28, 2017.
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES: Under the direction of the Mayor, performs highly responsible administrative and supervisory work in the direction of the City’s Service Divisions, including Highway, Storm Water, and Parks and Recreation. These divisions are charged with but not limited to the repair and maintenance of streets, sidewalks, lanes, bridges, traffic signage/lights, water mains; and also, the maintenance of public facilities, lands, parks, equipment, structures and municipal cemeteries. The Director is the point of contact for water and electrical distribution system suppliers to the City of Green.
QUALIFICATIONS: A Bachelor’s Degree, in a related field such as Construction Engineering, Civil Engineering, Public Administration or Business Administration, is strongly preferred. Minimum of Ten (10) years experience in an administrative and supervisory role in the public or private sector with similar responsibilities is required. Must possess a valid Ohio driver’s license and the ability to maintain continuing eligibility under the City’s driver eligibility standards; CDL is preferred. This is a hands-on leadership position applying practical, technical experience.
ILLUSTRATIVE DUTIES: (The duties listed below are intended to depict tasks performed by this classification.)
Consults with Division Heads and other Leadership roles reporting to the Director, to establish broad policies and procedures for the smooth operation of each Division.
- Analyzes, plans, organizes, coordinates, supervises and evaluates programs, plans, services, staffing, equipment, and infrastructure.
- Evaluates public work needs and formulates short and long range plans to meet needs in all areas of responsibility.
- Develops plans to modify or purchase equipment; or, expand capacity of City facilities.
- Reviews and approves plans and specifications for various functions of the Service Department.
Accountability and Budgeting--
- Prepares a wide variety of reports on departmental activities. Researches and recommends operational changes to the Mayor.
- Develops and analyzes the annual budget for all public service departments; and, monitors expenses.
- Receives citizen inquiries and/or complaints, and issues recommendations for corrective action.
- Makes presentations to City Council, boards, commissions, civic groups and the general public.
- Provides leadership and direction in the development of short and long-range projects within the department.
- Oversees staff in all Service divisions. Responds to grievances and serves as a resource/participant in labor contract negotiations.
- Responsible for the selection and training of Service Department staff directly or indirectly; and, addresses performance issues.
- Leads the Department toward maximizing efficiencies.
- Responds to the public or other inquiries relative to department policies and procedures. Evaluates issues and options regarding municipal public works and makes recommendations.
- Directs and oversees the construction, maintenance and resurfacing of city streets. This includes snow and ice removal and traffic signs/signals.
- Inspects public project sites to determine progress, need for repair, or compliance with local, state, and federal regulations.
- Writes specifications, obtains quotes, evaluates alternatives, and approves contractors for various projects.
- Oversees the responsible procurement of outside contractors, consultants and engineers.
- Facilitates migration to City Works (GIS), a computerized management system, through various phases of implementation.
Safety and Emergencies--
- Examines and inspects work progress, equipment, and work sites to verify safety and ensure all specifications are met.
- Ensures general safety precautions are followed by crews, reviews accidents, and prepares reports.
- Determines action to be taken in event of emergencies, such as machine, equipment, or power failure; or, inclement weather.
- Plans the coordination of all assigned and outside resources with respect to emergency management, response and recovery.
- Collaborates with City of Green management team to provide the best possible services to citizens, with the short and long term benefits to the City as the end goals. Openly communicates with and supports the needs of reporting staff in the performance of their duties.
- Delivers speeches and presents information at meetings or events to promote City services, exchange ideas on how to increase their efficiency, and accomplish City operational and administrative objectives.
- Consults with other government entities, business, and private organizations to discuss issues, coordinate activities, and resolve problems that have an impact on municipal services provided by the City.
- Attends City Council meetings.
- Develops and maintains relationships with outside utilities or business partners.
- Responsible for EPA regulations associated with city storm water permits.
- Complies with OSHA requirements in the management of all department processes.
- Ensures DOT CDL requirements are followed.
- Maintains permits for gas and diesel fuel storage.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIESnecessary to perform duties (* indicates developed after employment).
Knowledge of: Effective leadership and collaboration practices; Technical knowledge related to municipal infrastructure; Familiarity with Public Service regulatory requirements; Budgetary planning and monitoring; Public service administration practices*.
Skill in: Learning and utilizing Computer Software Tools; Microsoft Office
Ability to: Communicate effectively; collect, analyze and interpret data, prepare and maintain accurate documentation, develop and maintain working relationships with co-workers, elected officials, and the general public; exercise independent judgment and discretion; understand, interpret, and apply laws, rules, or regulations to specific situations; travel to and gain access to work sites; exert up to 20 pounds of force occasionally (up to 1/3 of the time), and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently (from 1/3 to 2/3 of the time), and/or a negligible amount of force constantly (2/3 or more of the time) in order to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS STRENGTH RATING: In accordance with the U.S. Department of Labor physical demands strength ratings, this is considered light work.
For consideration, submit resume and completed application via email to: email@example.com ; or, mail to:
City of Green
1755 Town Park Blvd., PO Box 278
Green, OH 44232-0278
SEASONAL LABORERS NEEDED!
Do you want to contribute to the growth of a progressive, prosperous and promising city?
The City of Green is looking for seasonal help in its Service Department.
- Up to 180 day employment with various duties and responsibilities.
- Completion of secondary education (High School or GED) and 18 years old.
- Must be able to work evenings, weekends and holidays.
- Must be able to work in inclement or extreme weather conditions.
- Must have valid State of Ohio driver license and remain insurable.
Seasonal Laborer I:
$9.87-$13.80/hour based on experience
Park maintenance, mowing, trimming, picking up litter, preparing athletic fields, trail maintenance, playground maintenance, building maintenance, general landscaping, painting, cleaning, shoveling and raking material, special events, cleaning restrooms and other related duties as assigned.
Seasonal Laborer II:
$11.68-$16.35/hour based on experience
Hauling material; dirt, stone, asphalt; shoveling, raking; picking up roadside litter, tree & brush removal, mowing, flagging traffic, operate equipment and other related duties as assigned. Must possess a valid State of Ohio driver’s license (Class A or B CDL) and remain insurable.
You may download an application and mail to:
City of Green HR Department
1755 Town Park Boulevard
PO Box 278
Green, OH 44232-0278
Or apply in person at:
City of Green HR Department
1755 Town Park Boulevard
Uniontown, OH 44685