In 1809, the present-day City of Green was platted and organized as Green Township, which consisted of approximately thirty-four square miles. Between 1809 and 1900 the unincorporated burgs of Aultman, Comet, East Liberty, Greensburg, and Myersville were settled within Green Township. These original communities were very small, independent settlements that contained a high concentration of the population in the Township. Growth in the Township was primarily due to the routes of the stagecoaches that ran through the Community. The Salem to Clinton stagecoach route ran east and west on what is now Greensburg Road, and the Massillon to Middleburg stagecoach route ran north and south on present-day State Route 241.
1950 Census 5,083
1960 Census 9,521
1970 Census 13,473
1980 Census 17,625
1990 Census 20,587
2000 Census 22,817
2010 Census 25,699
Land outside of the five main burgs was covered by large farms that produced valuable crops, and the farmland also covered vast areas of useable coal, which became Green Township's second leading market product until its decline in the early 1900s. The local economy then slowly shifted from farming and coal mining to small businesses, manufacturing, and industries.
In the 1950s, due to the increase in demand for residential housing, farmers began selling their farms to developers for residential housing subdivisions. As a result of the increased development that the Community was realizing, interest in orderly growth, as well as preservation of the original township, led to discussions about becoming a city.
On April 6, 1988, the citizens of Green Township authorized the incorporation of a three square mile Village in the center of the Township. Ultimately, on January 1, 1991, the entire balance of Green Township was incorporated as the Village of Green.
On April 5, 1992, following certification by the Board of Elections verifying that the Village had 5,000+ registered voters participate in the November 1991 General Election, the Village of Green was officially declared a City by then Secretary of State, Bob Taft.
Today, the City of Green is proud of our heritage and takes steps to preserve our history through our Historical Preservation Commission. The City has designated Historic Landmarks including the Lichtenwalter Schoolhouse located in Boettler Park; the Klinefelter Cemetery and the Levi J. Hartong House & Farm located within Southgate Park; the Henry Heiss Home on Steese Road; the Aultman Schoolhouse on Greensburg Road; and the Aaron Swartz Home on Massillon Road. On October 17, 2007, the Levi J. Hartong House & Farm became Green's first historical property to be listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
If you are interested in learning more about Green's historical places and people of interest, please visit the Green Historical Society website at www.greenhistoricalsociety.com.