General Tax Questions

What is taxable income?
Generally, income such as, but not limited to: salaries, wages, commissions, wage continuation plans, sick pay, vacations, etc.; tips, distributive share of net profits of a partnership or subchapter "S" corporation which is not taxed as an entity in Green, net profit from a business, net rental income, and income from lotteries and other games of chance.

What is non-taxable income?
Pensions received, annuities, interest income, dividend income, social security income, capital gains on investments, alimony, child support, proceeds from insurance, welfare, unemployment benefits payments by the State of Ohio and Active Duty military pary.

As a Retired Resident do I need to file an income tax return?
Retired individuals who receive only non-taxable income (as defined above) can file an Exemption Certificate and will not need to file income tax returns in the future - unless they begin receiving taxable income again. Download the Exemption Certificate, complete it - and mail it to the Income Tax Division; P.O. Box 460, Green, OH 44232.

Is this address in Green?
The City of Green is served by six post offices. Portions of the following postal ZIP codes are located within the city limits and taxing jurisdiction in Green:

AKRON 44312
AKRON 44319
GREEN 44232

To assist in determining whether or not an address is physically located in Green, a lookup tool is available on the Ohio Department of Taxation website. The street number and ZIP code must be entered. The physical location will be shown within the "Found Address" box. Newer streets may not appear on the website and may be verified by calling the Income Tax Division office. To access the site, click here.

All Green residents and businesses that are subject to Green income tax are required to complete a registration form and return it to the Income Tax Division.

Individual Filing Requirements
All residents and partial year residents of the City of Green who are 18 years of age or older as of the end of the tax year must file a return regardless of whether or not there is any tax due.

Estimated Tax Payments
An annual estimate and first quarter payment is required to be filed by April 15 for 2016 tax if the non-withheld tax liability will exceed $200.00. Quarterly estimated payments will be billed quarterly and are due as follows:

All calendar year taxpayers -- June 15, September 15, and December 15